Our research focuses on:
High Resolution Mass Spectrometric target, suspect and non-target screening workflows for the identification of knowns and unknowns in environmental and food samples
Hyphenated techniques, liquid chromatography hyphenated with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS):
- Study of electrospray ionization of wide broad polarity molecules. Ion suppression studies.
- Optimization strategies of mobile phases and API (ESI and APCI) parameters for multi-analyte determinations, using multivariate chemometric techniques
- Methodology for internal standards selection
- Ultra performance liquid chromatographic separations for mass spectrometry (UPLC-MS)
- Hydrophilic liquid chromatographic separations for mass spectrometry (HILIC-MS)
- Determination of micropollutants and food contaminants (endocrine disrupting compounds, pharmaceuticals and veterinary drug residues, pesticides, additives)
Application of multivariate pattern recognition techniques on large data sets for classification, feature selection, prediction, data reduction and modelling
Environmental chemistry of emerging micropollutants and their (bio)transformation products (phenolic EDCs, PFOS, PFOA and other PFCs, pharmaceuticals and PCPs, illicit drugs, benzotriazoles, benzothiazoles, benzosulfonamides, siloxanes, polar pesticides, artificial sweeteners) through a holistic approach, including monitoring, fate in the environment and ecotoxicology
Food and feed contaminants: determination and dietary exposure studies of environmental contaminants (metals, pesticides), endocrine disrupting compounds, veterinary drug residues, toxins, migration contaminants from food contact materials and additives.
Derivatization reagents for sensitivity and selectivity enhancement of chromatographic determinations
New, fast and efficient, sample preparation methods (microwave assisted and ultrasonic-assisted extraction, matrix dispersive and advanced SPE)
Speciation analysis: development of methods for the determination of chromium, tin, arsenic, mercury and germanium species in environmental and food samples
Electrothermal Atomic Absorption Spectrometry: permanent modifiers for multi-element determinations, internal standardization for multi-element ETAAS, atomization mechanisms